Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hostel

I checked into a hostel last night after an incredible bike ride. It was a little nerve-wracking unlocking the door and not knowing what kinds of people I would be sharing my room with. They were all out when I arrived, so I had to guess what they would be like based on the signs they left behind.

First off, I noticed a princess must be staying there. Her down comforter gave it away. I've stayed in about a dozen hostels now and most did not exactly have nice bedding, but is it really necessary to bring your own comforter?!?

I was hoping to share the room with some cool and adventurous backpackers. I ruled that option out after checking out the other beds that had been claimed. I saw that two of the others had a couple big buckets (approx. 1 gallon each) filled with medicine and vitamins. One brought her own blanket; it had a giant picture of a cat on it. On the nightstand was a huge pair of glasses. Each lens would have gone down to about my chin. I could go on and on about the list of signs that my fellow travelers were not typical hostel-goers.

I met two of them later that night. As I predicted, they were anything but young backpackers. They were old ladies from just outside of the city. It was a double bummer because in addition to not having any cool travel stories (afterall, they only traveled 30 miles), they were really annoying! The only plus was they warned me about "The Coughing Lady" so I made sure to bring my iPod to bed in case the coughing got on my nerves.

I never did see the princess. When I woke up in the morning her comforter was gone. She and I might have more in common than I initially thought. I woke up first thing in the morning and got the h outta there!

No comments:

Post a Comment