The latest craze on Facebook is posting a note with 25 random things about yourself. I think some people’s lists are really dumb, but those are the exception and I generally enjoy reading everyone’s 25 random facts. Claire Suddath of Time.com, however, feels quite differently as is evident in her article “25 Things I Didn’t Want to Know About You.” After bemoaning the 25 facts fad, Suddath shares a list of things she wishes she hadn’t learned from reading her Facebook friends’ notes.
Based on her idea, I compiled some of the random things my friends and acquaintances have shared. I grouped them into categories, especially after noticing some common themes.
59 THINGS THAT ARE NOT MINE
(All are copied and pasted directly, without editing, from Facebook)
Great Motivation
1. I never do these things but I am watching the superbowl and am very bored.
Funny, Crazy, & Unique
2. I make up jingles for restaurants that don’t exist. The jingles usually have something to do with food poisoning.
3. I was once groped by a 5 year old Italian gypsy boy in hopes to distract me from getting robbed - it didn't work, but scarred me for life.
4. When I was little I started saying good-bye/hello to the months as they came and went.
5. Kissing is fun! That's how I see it. Judge me if you want, but I am not a slut. I think you can tell a lot about someone by a little smooch!
6. My family has a family song. It's pretty funny too! I'll sing it for you if you ask me.
7. One time I made a snowman, and the sticks I made his arms and hands out of, I made this fingers have a peace sign, lol
8. My main teacher growing up was British so I pronounced things strangly until i moved to
9. i think i'm missing the 'embarrassed' gene because i never really get embarrassed. i guess i just don't care enough about what other people think of me...thank God!
10. I was once told by a doctor not to walk under walnut trees because if one fell and hit me in the head my brain would swell up and I'd die (I had a concussion at the time)...true story...
11. When I was 19, I got into a mango fight with a monkey in
12. My Dad once told me that if I wore my hair in pig-tails, owls would mistake me for a tree and attack me on the way to the bus stop. I believed him and thus never sported the look. Don't know if he didn't like the look or was just trying to mess with me....
13. i do math in my head in korean, but i do everything else in english.
14. i cannot burp. i will someday belch the loudest, most earth-shattering burp and it will shake the world and I will be able to die happy.
15. I wanted to name my brother Bob Barker
16. I stole Tums when I was 5 and now I have heartburn...karma?
17. If I had it all over again, I would have been a professional bowler. I have analyzed this sitatuion many times, and I can't seem to find one drawback of that profession.
18. When a girl tells me she is a "cat person," I politely walk away.
Just Plain Beautiful
19. I stick to my ELCA Lutheran roots but i believe that God is in all things and I will see my muslim, hindu, jewish, buddhist etc... friends in heaven
20. i model my love life after cory and topanga from boy meets world because they always believed in each other and pushed through everything the world threw at them without losing sight of how much they cared about each other.
21. I love numbers! They're better than words. Just think of what you can do with numbers.
22. I realized last night that because I am married to Lane, I will have music for the rest of my life and it made me exceedingly happy.
23. I love to smell. I don’t think I would enjoy life if I couldn’t smell all the beautiful things in this world.
24. I miss my grandma, but I know she is saving me a seat.
Appreciation
25. I’m grateful that my parents worked so hard at jobs they weren’t crazy about so I could get an education that would allow me to have a job I really like. I think about this every day, but I don’t think I’ve ever told them. I should probably do that.
26. I am a firm believer that Wartburg made me the person that I am today and because of that...I will be wearing an orange tuxedo at my wedding (brides' wishes (or maybe demands....) be damned!)
27. I'm thankful every day that I went to middle school and high school at The
I Can Relate to These
28. The last time I was carded I was 38 years old, buying beer for a poker party. When I was 32 I was carded at a restaurant with my daughter sitting on my lap. Even at age 37 I have been mistaken for a student.
29. Analytical = me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don’t. I like the intuition that it can bring, but I don’t like the times when I analyze too much.
30. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a shopper at Hy-Vee. Amazingly, my dream came true. I love going to the grocery store!
31. The smell of maltomeal will always remind me of the smell of St. Olaf. [My comment: I loved how Waverly often smelled like cocoa from Nestle!]
32. There was nothing better than playing tackle football in the backyard with my siblings! [You can’t beat backyard baseball. I’m still sad they cut down the tree that was 3rd base.]
33. I have always wanted to pull a fire alarm at school
34. occasionally I still look under the bed and in the closets before going to bed and I do not feel like an adult.
35. I've always considered myself a bad-ass because I learned to drive on a stick-shift (in
36. playing softball at umd was the worst choice i ever made. [Quitting softball at the burg was the best choice I ever made.]
37. My sister Ashley and I have the same birthday, February 20th. We are exactly four years apart.
Strong Feelings
38. I never have and will never make my bed when I get up in the morning. It will stay messed up all day. Why bother if you are just going to sleep in it again later? [I think it sets the tone for a successful day.]
39. Since moving back to Iowa, I have decided that Iowans are the worst drivers on the face of the earth, only they all THINK they are excellent. People here do not know how to merge onto an interstate, how to LET people merge onto an interstate, how to drive on snow, how to drive on ice, how to LOOK before pulling into the left-hand lane on a freeway. Basically, I feel like my life is going to end every day when I drive to work.
40.I am annoyed that
41. I am currently on a rampage about high fructose corn syrup.
The Influence of Home
42. I am happiest living near water.
43. I'm bringing Uff-Da back
44. I miss
45. Lake Superior is very important to me, as is
46. I haven't seen the northern lights in far too long.
Growing Up
47. I wrote a song for my sister's wedding and found out how much I can't deal with change or growing up as i cried pretty much through the entire song [When my sister got married, as much as I love having a new brother, I was sad that we were no longer her #1 priority and she doesn’t have our last name anymore.]
48. I can't wait to see what the future holds for me!!
49. I AM NEVER GROWING UP, you can't make me I won't do it!
50. I have no idea where life is going, but want to do my best to enjoy the adventure and people along the way.
Squirrels
51. A squirrel once ran up my leg in the middle of the Wartburg quad...but no one was there to see it...so no one believes me :-(
52.
53. Every time I see a Wartburg squirrel, I feel the urge to run up and punt it.
54. I am scared of squirrels.
55. For 4 years I was terrified that a Wartburg Squirrel would drop out of a tree and land on me.
Please Shut Up
56. I think of myself as an amazing person, and I always hope everyone else does too.
57. I've had at least 3 people other than my parents say they would be honored to have me considered as their son.
58. I am pretty much in love with myself. There is no denying it. I can’t help that I am just this awesome!
This Made Me Really Like You
59. I don't care how I look most days. I let my eyebrows grow, I don't really shave my legs all that regularly, and I will go a few days without a shower.
No comments:
Post a Comment